Fajitas are a colorful and meaty dish that combines the snap of multi-colored bell peppers and tender strips of beef — fajitas are a party for your senses.
And although no one says no to a sizzling plate of fajitas, the dish is not complete until you make yourself a couple of fajita tacos! Of course, a side of guacamole is a must, and although you can top your tacos with anything you want, fresh tomato and aromatic cilantro leaves area a great start.
What meat to use for Fajitas?
Any beef cut can become flavorful fajitas if you can cut it into strips. Of course, finer cuts are best enjoyed as-is, so most experts make their fajitas with flank steak, skirt steak or our favorite, rump steak, the famous Cuadril, as it is known in Argentina.
Optionally, marinate the meat for tender strips with a more intense flavor. This might not be necessary with cuts like veal rump steak but tougher cuts like skirt steak. Let’s make some wheat flour fajita tacos with veggies and guacamole!
Veal Fajitas with Veggies and Guacamole Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
For the fajitas:
- 2 lb. veal rump steak (Cuadril)
- 3 red onions, in strips
- 1 red bell pepper, julienne
- 1 green bell pepper, julienne
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienne
- 8 wheat flour tortillas
- 2 tomatoes in strips
- Cilantro leaves as a garnish
For the guacamole:
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 tomato, finely diced, seeds removed
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 fistful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 oz lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the meat into thin strips and cook on a hot griddle until brown and tender. Set aside.
- Cook the onion and bell peppers in the griddle over a medium flame until fully cooked and slightly charred. Incorporate the meat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the guacamole, combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- To assemble, serve the fajitas over the tortillas and top with the sliced tomato and cilantro. Fold and warm gently on the grill. Serve with a side of guacamole and optional cheddar sauce.