Blood sausages might be intimidating. After all, not everyone enjoys the idea of eating the specialty. Still, blood sausages, particularly morcilla, a delicacy in Argentina, is not only delicious, but it can be part of fancy starters or appetizers. Let us introduce you to our blood sausage tostones with apple and blue cheese.
What is Morcilla, anyway?
The morcilla is a crimson-hued sausage made with cooked blood and pork meat, mildly seasoned and with a firm, snappy bite.
When cooked right, morcilla is one of the most flavorful sausages, and it’s a delicacy in South America. And although enjoying morcilla with bread is customary, you can use it for more sophisticated recipes like the one you’ll find below.
Let’s slice a rich and fatty morcilla, sear it until beautifully charred and top it with fresh green apple slices and crumbly blue cheese. Now picture this exciting combination of flavor and textures over a toasted slice of country bread — that’s one good-looking dish!
How to Cook Morcilla?
There are many ways of adding morcilla to your grilling repertoire. The sausage takes heat very well, so you can grill it with other sausages and it won’t fall apart.
Ideally, cut the morcilla into slices to ensure it’s cooked through and has a mildly charred crust. If you’ve never tried this specialty, this is the best way of enjoying it — its flavor will surely surprise you!
Let’s make a few “tostones” or toast with morcilla and elevate the dish with apples and intensely flavorful blue cheese.
Blood sausage Tostones with Apple and Blue Cheese Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 loaf of country-style bread
- 2 morcilla blood sausages
- 1 green apple
- 4 oz blue cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil as needed
- Slice and toast the bread on the grill over a low flame. Set aside.
- Slice the morcilla blood sausages into one-inch thick wheels and sear on both sides on the grill or in a skillet.
- Cut the apple into thin slices.
- Assemble the tostones by topping each bread slice with a morcilla, apple slices and crumbled blue cheese.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve.